Job Opening: Senior Estimator
Senior Estimator prepares detailed cost estimates for proposed new construction projects involving both competitive bid and negotiated work. Senior Estimator shall be able to perform all estimating duties and subcontractor solicitation. Senior Estimator shall assign segments of project to the Estimating Team Members have the final review of all Bids.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Works with new estimators assigned to the department; ensures that they receive maximum exposure to the cost estimating process. May review the work of other staff members for accuracy; offers suggestions as needed before bid data is consolidated.
- Reviews and analyzes owner contract documents for both negotiated and bid construction projects to determine both the nature and scope of the work to be performed.
- Attends preliminary meetings with owners and architects to discuss the budget plan to ensure that all issues and questions effecting the construction of the project are fully clarified before the estimating sequence begins.
- Works with the estimating team to prepare detailed, quantity and cost take-offs for assigned segments of the project.
- Using an approved list of contractors, invites subcontractors to submit bids on portions of the job to the subcontracted (elevators, mechanical, electrical, etc.)
- Ensures that drawings are made available in a timely manner and in sufficient numbers to facilitate the estimate.
- Compiles cost data received for subcontractors for F&H.
- Examines data as it is being received for both accuracy and sufficiency before completing the final bid estimate.
- When preliminary cost estimates exceed the owner’s expected budget works with architects and owners in a value-engineering role.
- Assists in exploring a multitude of architectural alternatives; pricing the alternatives that offers the greatest opportunity for cost savings. In an effort to identify other cost-savings alternatives solicits the view of other F&H personnel (Project Managers and Superintendents).
- Assists in maintaining and updating the master bid list for the all Divisions of work as detailed in the CSI Masterformat.
- May at times assist in preparing final construction schedules, and construction logistic plans.
- Be familiar and follow the F&H Construction Estimating Process document.
Leadership and Communication Skills:
- Ability to effectively communicate both verbally and written
- Negotiate effectively in all situations; settle differences while maintaining positive relationships
- Display a high degree of integrity and social responsibility during the performance of daily responsibilities
- Ability to teach and motivate other Estimators on the Team
- Ability to collaborate with team and manage multiple tasks, produce work on a time-sensitive deadlines, while maintaining a positive attitude at all times
- Demonstrate good time management skills with the ability to organize and manage multiple priorities
- Create strong morale on his/her team while working to achieve a common goal
- Provide value to each project through innovation and attention to detail
Technical Skills and Experience:
- Knowledge and understanding of costs to prepare conceptual estimates.
- Thorough understanding of Labor (Production), Equipment, and Material rates.
- Strong knowledge and understanding of design development, estimating.
- Advanced user of MS Excel and other MS Office applications.
- Adept in quickly learning new software, related to drafting, modeling, estimating and scheduling.
- Working knowledge of construction drawings, costs and principles.
Required Education and Work Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Construction Management, Architecture, Civil Engineering or Mechanical Engineering; with preferable two years of experience as a Project Engineer
- Minimum of five years of diversified estimating and construction experience.
Disclaimer. This job description is only a summary of typical functions, and is not an exhaustive or comprehensive list of all possible job responsibilities, tasks and duties. The above job responsibilities, task, and duties may differ from the job description and other duties, as assigned, may be part of the job.